Search This Blog

August 2, 2017

Test Results :: Yangtze


CiM Yangtze (CiM457) is a pale yellow that is supposed to be a streaky colour, but in my beads ended up looking a bit more 'murky' than 'streaky'. It is interestingly reactive, in the same colour family as colours like Effetre Straw Yellow, Light Brown Transparent, and Pale Green Apple and CiM Mojito. It's wonderful with silver.

Overall, I'm not a huge fan of this colour. If I were wanting to use something this shade of yellow, I'd much sooner use the pretty, smooth, semi-opaque Cornsilk or the entirely transparent Effetre Straw Yellow. The streakiness of Yangtze is not very pronounced, and the streaks are not a very interesting colour. I wonder if I would like it better if the streakiness were a pretty warm colour like pink or orange?


Reducing doesn't change the colour of Yangtze.


With silver, Yangtze is sort of awesome. In the leftmost bead, you can see that my silver leaf really crusted up and took on a bluish appearance. When I reduced and encased the silver leaf in the middle bead, the lumpiness of the silver went away and it smoothed out into a greyish blanket over the Yangtze with blue fume in the gaps where no silver covers the base.

In the rightmost bead, where I encased silver foil with Yangtze over a base of Yangtze, my silver turned a deep golden colour.


In the bead on the left where I reduced silver glass frit on top of Yangtze, my silver glass fritty bits threw an iridescent outline around themselves in addition to sheening up themselves. I got a pretty starting strike from my TerraNova2 frit on top of Yangtze in the purple ranges, but not anything outstanding.

In the bead on the right, you can see that Yangtze can be used to create a fun subterranean streakiness when it's pulled into stringer with reducing silver glass frit, used to encase a bead, and then encased with clear. I love this effect. The colours I got with Yangtze are less bright than the colours I've achieved with some other colours in the same colour family, but I am always excited when a colour will cooperate with me and do this.


While Yangtze is fun and reactive wtih silver, it's not particularly reactive with other colours. I got some separation with Copper Green, Opal Yellow, and Ivory but that's about it.

I didn't make any other beads with Yangtze.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is amazing!!!
    Especially for newbies in lapmwork like me, thank you for your megausefull work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you are enjoying it :)

      I started this blog when I was a newbie, and like to dig back through the early entries periodically to remember the things I thought and felt. Good luck on your lampworking journey!

      Delete