Search This Blog

July 3, 2017

Test Results :: Marine Green


Effetre Marine Green (EFF290) is a gorgeous, bright opaque turquoise that is more on the green side than Effetre Light Turquoise and fairly similar in colour to CiM Celadon. Marine Green has similar reactions to CiM Celadon, although there are some key differences.  It is less viscous than CiM Celadon, having a somewhat runnier consistency. It turns dark when it is molten, but lightens back up as it cools.

When Art Glass House was still selling 104 CoE glass, they called this colour Rofranna Turquoise. So, if you are wondering what the heck I am talking about when I say Marine Green, that might be why.


I did use Marine Green in this set of test beads that I did with CiM Quetzal, and you can see it here in contrast to a bunch of other colours in the same colour family.


Marine Green is harder to reduce than other turquoise colours.  I really worked at getting a brick red reduction coating on the rightmost bead here with very little success.  I achieved a sort of darkish shadow and that was about it.


Another key way in which Marine Green differs from other turquoise colours is that I didn't get a lot of yellowing from the silver I reduced and encased here in the rightmost bead.  In the bead on the left, the silver dispersed and just sort of sat greyishly on the surface of the bead.


My reducing silver glass all migrated to the middle of this bead, I think because of how much softer the Marine Green is than the transparent silver glasses I put on top of it.  I did not really get any interesting results from the silver glass in either bead.


Where I used Tuxedo on top of Marine Green, the edges of the Tuxedo dots and stringer lines fuzzed up, and in some cases, were overtaken by some cloudy Marine Green blotches, which was unexpected.

On top of Marine Green, Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Ivory, and Peace all separate.  In Ivory's case, a significant amount of brown reaction line also resulted.

Marine Green separated on top of everything else I used here, and on top of Ivory developed a wide brown reaction outline.

Here are some other beads that include Marine Green:











No comments:

Post a Comment