Search This Blog

July 10, 2017

Test Results :: Eel Grass


CiM Eel Grass (CiM456) is a beautiful medium forest green colour.  It is a little more muted and less yellow than CiM Slytherin. I think that it is more reminiscent of CiM Algae in colour, only lighter and much less reactive. It's a keeper.  I want more :)


Here's some Eel Grass sandwiched between CiM Algae and Effetre Pale Emerald.


Like Peat Moss, Eel Grass has a tendency to bubble a little as it is being worked.  This problem is exacerbated when you use it in stringer form. The boiling can be prevented by working cool, but I am less good at that than I'd like to be, so bubbles.


On top of Eel Grass, silver disperses and beads up. When the silver is reduced and encased in clear, it fumes a very pretty colour of blue. Eel Grass does not change the colour of silver when it is used to encase silver foil.


I knew that Eel Grass was probably not going to work well as reducing glass frit stringer before I made the leftmost bead here because the Eel Grass-encased silver foil round did not turn gold, but I tried it anyway.

My reducing silver glass frit and my TerraNova2 frit both took to this colour very well.  Now that I have tested a few of them, I'm thinking that transparent greens that are not reactive with silver pgenerally make good bases for silver glass. I had great results with Effetre Dark Grass Green (which you already know if you read this blog a lot because I can't seem to shut up about it), Effetre Sage Transparent, and CiM Slytherin as well before this one.


In the bead on the right, you can see that Eel Grass lightens significantly when used over other colours. It also appears to be one of the colours that keeps Copper Green a bit cleaner than it tends to stay on its own.

In terms of reactions, this colour is pretty mild.  The opaque colours I used on top of it separated, but that seems to be a pretty normal thing for them to do on top of a transparent and maybe not very remarkable at all, although I'll still log it as truth.

Here are some other beads involving Eel Grass:





No comments:

Post a Comment