Search This Blog

June 5, 2017

Test Results :: Cornsilk


CiM Cornsilk (CiM314) is a soft opalescent yellow that stays a beautiful translucent colour no matter how you abuse it in the flame. I found two of my three rods of Cornsilk to be a little bit shocky, and I did get some bubbling as I was working it, but in the long spaces between those issues, this colour was pleasant to work with, smooth, and buttery.

In case you're wondering, Effetre Yellow Opalino and this colour are not really anything alike. Yellow Opalino is much less reactive with silver, much more yellow in colour and tends to opacify. I would have made a test paddle, but I don't have any Yellow Opalino currently and resisted buying some.

The only colour we had already in the 104 Palette that really bears any resemblance to Cornsilk is Effetre Yellow Alabastro, but because I am so afraid of the Alabastro colours after my unpleasant brush with Ivory Alabastro that I couldn't make myself buy any, there's no comparison between that glass and Cornsilk happening in this post.  I'm imagining that the Yellow Alabastro is just as shocky, boily, and nasty as the Ivory was and maybe that's a little unfair. If I ever run out of other colours to test, maybe I'll screw up my courage and try it.


Here you can see that Cornsilk doesn't change much after you reduce it.  The smaller, reduced bead does look a bit darker here but I'm pretty sure that it's because my background is dark and there is less Cornsilk present than in the leftmost bead.


Here is a bead that shows the colour differences between CiM Ecru, CiM Cornsilk, and CiM Ghee. Cornsilk stays opal while those two colours are cloudier and Ghee can look downright opaque depending on how it strikes.


Silver leaf fumes Cornsilk a rich caramel colour, with the silver turning brown in places and beading up into pretty little silver balls. When the silver is reduced and encased, it mostly just looks solidly greyish under the clear.  Silver Foil under a layer of Cornsilk looks much yellower than the colour of Cornsilk would seem to justify, and so I think it's safe to say that Cornsilk belongs in the same reaction category as colours like Mojito, Pale Green Apple, Straw Yellow, and Light Brown Transparent.


Cornsilk seems to make a pretty nice base colour for silver glass.  I got pretty colours in both of these beads, and with the reduction frit, the cornsilk fumed a deeper yellow in places.

I regret not doing my reduction frit stringer test with this colour, because after seeing how it works with both silver and silver glass, I have a feeling I would have been pleased with the results.


Copper green, Opal Yellow, Ivory, and Peace all separate on top of Cornsilk. Apart from that and the pretty fuming with silver, I didn't notice much in the way of reactions with this colour.

Here are some other beads made with Cornsilk:



No comments:

Post a Comment