Search This Blog

January 31, 2012

Test Results :: Maraschino

1 - Plain, 2 - Plain (reduced), 3 - Over Clear, 4 - Encased, 5 - w/ Silver Leaf, 6 - w/ Silver Leaf (reduced & encased), 7 - w/ TerraNova2 Frit, 8 - w/ Silver Glass Frit (reduced), 9 & 10 - w/ Tuxedo, Copper Green, Opal Yellow, Ivory & Peace

I think that CiM Maraschino is the most beautiful colour of red that I've seen so far on this beadmaking journey. The colour of it is lickable - doesn't it seem like it would taste exactly like a cherry Lifesaver?

It is a transparent colour, but it opacifies and seems to darken slightly as you work it. It also has a strange, viscous, murkiness to it so it isn't really a true transparent. However, it's as transparent as it needs to be -- if you use it in very thin layers in even coats, it will behave exactly the way you think a transparent glass is supposed to. I wish I'd made a floral with it.

Anyway.


Here is the Maraschino both over and under Clear.  Putting it over Clear makes it slightly more transparent, but not very much so. It's still a delicious red, and still very dense. It is a much less orangey red than Vetrofond or Effetre striking red, with the added bonus that it doesn't require any special babysitting to strike it.

Silver leaf on top of Maraschino makes Maraschino look much more opaque. The silver spreads and forms a sort of uniform beigy-brown film over the Maraschino. When you reduce and encase this brown film, it turns a much darker brown/grey colour.


My TerraNova2 frit got some decent colour on top of Maraschino, but overall it's a subdued brownish sort of colour that doesn't really look all that nice with the Maraschino itself.

Don't laugh at me, but I have stupidly photographed my Valentine reducing silver glass test bead here instead of my Maraschino one. This is what happens when you try to do things quickly, at the last minute, as you're preparing for a business trip.

So instead of looking at that bead, have a look at this one, which must be the Maraschino one. Thank goodness I only had two sets of test beads waiting for pictures or who knows what we would have ended up with.


Either way, reducing silver glass frit looks pretty interesting on top of Maraschino, and it's not significantly different in either bead except for the way it seems to have spread and engulfed the Maraschino but stayed more in place on top of Valentine.


On top of both Tuxedo and Copper Green, Maraschino looks like a much darker version of itself. Maraschino and Copper Green form a reciprocal dark line reaction.

The only other reactions really worth noting are that Maraschino spreads out and oranges up a little on top of Ivory, and Peace separates ever-so-slightly on top of Maraschino. Apart from that, it seems like a pretty stable colour.

2 comments:

  1. I've been following (both "officially" and "unofficially") for a while now. I just wanted to say that you do a great job describing the different colors and how they interact with one another. It really helps me plan or how I'm going to use my own glass. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice feedback Lyssa! It really helps keep me motivated when I hear that what I am doing is helping other people.

    ReplyDelete