Search This Blog

March 23, 2010

Mission Accomplished - Tropical Sunset

Effetre Sedona is NOT UGLY! :)

I made these beads on the weekend, and the colours remind me of a tropical sunset. The blues give just a hint of ocean, and the mottled pinks and oranges make me think of the way the sun sets in the Caribbean.

Collection of beads made with Sedona, Leaky Pen, Dark Aqua and Anise White

These beads are a base of Clear, encased with Sedona. There are some random trails of a handmixed colour I made with Leaky Pen and Dark Aqua. The flowers are Anise White, and the little stamens are the same handmixed blue transparent.

A Few Words About Sedona
Sedona is super-soft, and it boils really easily. It can be shocky. It devitrifies, resulting in an oddy, chalky film building up on the surface of the bead while you're working it. It is so prone to devitrification that if you hold a rod of it in the flame underneath a bead made in a completely different colour, that other bead will develop a film on it that makes it look like its been etched.

One of the focals from the large picture, above, etched to rid the bead of devitrification.

To get rid of the devitrification, you can reduce the bead in a dragon's breath flame. Not all of the devit will go away with this method every time you try it -- it can be stubborn stuff. But the mottled surface colour is pretty attractive.You can etch the devit away as well, which results in a more even finish.  I like it etched very much, but I like the shine of the dark pink parts in the previous picture, too.

Sedona turns yellow when you use it with silver, which can be sort of nasty and unappealing. It's really reactive, and easily influenced by other colours. I didn't get a chance to run comprehensive tests with this colour, but I will definitely get to it eventually.

In spite of all its issues, I think Sedona and I are going to have a long relationship. I don't mind fussy, hard-to-work-with glass if I can get these kinds of results out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment